Improving the performance of a website or measuring the impact of a campaign requires the application of a number of sales techniques, including Performance Marketing. It is therefore one of the methods often used by advertisers to achieve the desired statistical results as quickly and efficiently as possible.
In this article, we will tell you more about this web marketing technique.
What is Performance Marketing?
Performance marketing is a digital marketing model in which the advertiser only pays for the results obtained. It is composed of a set of web marketing techniques (affiliation, PPC…) that allow to measure the results of an advertising campaign and to attribute its performance to the different channels, according to the results obtained.
With digital performance marketing, you go from payment per click or per impression to payment per result. The effectiveness of a campaign is not determined by statistical calculations, but by actual data collected by the tracking system that records clicks, conversions, sales or subscriptions in real time.
How to measure the performance of your digital marketing campaigns?
In performance marketing campaigns, also defined as results-based marketing, it is important to understand that the advertiser only pays for the results achieved, regardless of the channel you are working on. So the key is to achieve those results.
In order for a performance marketing strategy to be effective, you need to consider the following aspects:
- Set clear and measurable objectives: marketing performance should not be used to achieve objectives related, for example, to brand awareness. It is also crucial to specify the key indicators from the outset, which will serve as a reference. Since payment depends on them, these Key Performance Indicators (KPIs or KPIs) must comply with the requirements of the agency that will manage the campaign but also be consistent with those of the client.
- Define the payment model: since you can use a variety of channels and everything will depend on the conversion, it is necessary to clearly define the payment model used: CPM, CPC, CPL, CPA, etc. The most logical in a performance marketing campaign is to use the following models:
- CPL (cost per lead) ;
- CPA (cost per share or cost per acquisition) ;
- CPC (less common but can be used to measure concrete marketing performance actions).
- Create optimized landing pages: the conversion process usually ends on the landing page. Therefore, if traffic ends up coming back to the wrong landing page, there is no point in launching the best Adwords campaign or creating a perfect automated e-mail marketing campaign. Take the time to create a good landing page. Make sure that the landing page is optimized for display on all devices, whether it’s a desktop or a mobile device.
- Use specialists to make the most of technology: Obviously, marketing performance depends on using advanced digital tools to help achieve goals. However, you need to rely on experts who know how to make the most of these technologies. For example, in Antevenio Go, each client has a conversion designer team, an AdWords and social network advertising expert and a conversion manager for the landing pages. All of them ensure the real-time management of your lead capture campaigns.
- The essential role of monitoring: marketing performance strategies must be analyzed in real time. If you find that you are not meeting your goals, you need to make changes as soon as possible. Regular optimization of marketing performance activities is the basis of your success.
- The relationship between the agency and the advertiser must be harmonious. They both have the same objectives and transparent communication is one of the keys to success.
The best performance marketing techniques
Native advertising :
This is a type of paid service that creates click opportunities and tends to respect the natural look and feel of the site on which the ads are placed. The most common payment models for this model are CPM and CPC.
Sponsored advertising involves creating a publication dedicated to the promotion of a brand and/or product. These publications increase traffic and conversions and increase visibility on the Internet in general. Payment for this service can sometimes be in the form of free products, but also in the form of CPM, CPA or CPC payments.
Affiliate marketing :
Affiliates are often considered as digital performance marketing partners. Affiliates can take the form of: review sites, blogs, discount sites or loyalty programs.
It is a form of paid media that, unlike billboards or banner ads, does not really look like advertising.
Advertising on social networks :
This type of performance marketing relies on social networks to drive traffic and awareness. Often, it is based on “I like”, engagement, sales and clicks. You’ll be able to target consumers in a very specific way without having to worry about the hassles of organic publishing.
Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing works through paid and organic searches. However, the paid portion only comes into effect when it comes to performance marketing. Baidu’s cost-per-click programs can boost your visibility by using keywords that will appear on search engine results pages.
- Read more
→ How to set KPIs for better performance?
Ten steps to a successful Performance Marketing campaign:
- Integrate marketing performance into the company’s overall strategy: Results-based marketing must be integrated with the rest of the company’s marketing strategies. No single division can meet your company’s needs.
- Identify KPIs: this step is fundamental! You need to know the indicators that will help you measure the actions you are taking. This way, you will be able to optimize your campaigns effectively.
- Discover the path to conversion: conversion is the ultimate goal of any marketing performance strategy. Identifying the steps to get there will improve the effectiveness of your performance marketing actions.
- Consolidate and measure: Thanks to Big Data, it is now possible to produce millions of pieces of data and use them conscientiously. The challenge is to process and analyze these huge amounts of available data, whether structured or unstructured, to make sense of them and transform them into useful information.
- Technology and CRM: If you combine all your digital marketing campaigns with your own CRM, you’ll have better control over how your advertising campaigns work. You’ll also be able to better target users when planning future campaigns. The personalization of campaigns through the integration of the results in the CRM offers results focused on performance alone, which improves conversion rates, whatever the objective (registrations, sales, reservations) because everything is oriented according to the user’s history.
- Attribution models: Attribution models are a set of rules that assign, as accurately as possible, the recorded value of sales to each of the touch points with which the user interacts on the conversion path.
- Omnichannel strategy: The emergence of an increasing number of channels that allow the consumer to interact with your brand in both the online and offline environment requires the creation of an omnichannel strategy. An Internet user can interact with your brand in different contexts, at different times and on different devices.
- Constantly innovate: It is important to be constantly innovating and to manage data properly. To do this, you can use specialized media and tools to reach the user with personalized messages at the right time.
- Creativity and content: Content is the starting point. The creative content strategy must be well managed and balanced. In all cases, you must understand that the content lifecycle has changed: previously, content would die when it was published. Nowadays, the cycle begins once the content is published.
- Analyze the competition: The success of a performance-based marketing campaign relies heavily on constant analysis of the competition. It is essential to be able to answer all the questions that may arise about the competition (who, how, where, when…) and then make relevant decisions.
What tools to track results in digital performance marketing?
Analytics has dashboard modules and allows you to follow the results on the web. However, it does not allow to feed the database with external data.
- G4A Guide
→ Google Analytics 4
Spreadsheet like Excel or Google sheets
o Spreadsheets are flexible to manipulate data and perform additional calculations. You have the ability to copy results manually or use APIs or add-ons to import elements automatically.
o On Excel you can for example use the SEO Tools plugin which allows you to manage multiple SEO data integrations in a versatile way. It offers different programming interfaces or APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) for common SEO analysis tools such as Ahrefs, Google AdWords, Google Analytics, Majestic, Moz, Searchmetrics, SEMrush, SISTRIX and SEOlytics. With this plugin you can access via the toolbox in the menu to some components and determine cell formulas for the evaluation of SEO data.
Dataviz: Power BI, Table Software, Qlik
Dataviz tools allow you to visually highlight all your results thanks to the multiple integration sources provided in the form of interactive graphs that offer easier reading and allow you to refine results on demand.
Dataviz is the most complete tool, but also the most difficult to implement.
Marketing performance: at the heart of our marketing strategies at Eminence:
Eminence has a radically different approach to traditional agency-based digital marketing campaigns: we help your business grow through data-driven strategies.
We have chosen to emphasize our strategy around targeting and focus on ultra personalization rather than leveraging.
Depending on your business issues and key indicators (qualified traffic generation, collection of new prospects, monetization of your forms or databases…), we develop “tailor-made” actions to develop your web activity efficiently and with controlled costs.
The priority of our teams is to design effective campaigns that meet your objectives while respecting your budget.
Let us prove to you the efficiency of our approach, contact us here : https://eminence.ch/contact-agence-marketing-geneve