Hospitals are facing more and more challenges – Complexity in the structures of the patients, new clinical pictures and economic challenges requires an optimised application of all resources. It needs future development at all levels, also in the digital sector. In order to be able to survive against the competition, hospitals have to ask themselves :
- How visible is our institution and our benefits for patients?
- How can we stand out from our competitors?
The objective of each hospital should be to increase its visibility on the Internet in order to attract additional patients on a long-term basis.
Why Social Media have a positive impact
An implementation of a Social Media Strategy can bring a clear added value for all parties:
- You can call the attention of potential patients to your hospital.
- Secure a long-term relationship with your existing patients.
- In addition, an effective social Media Strategy has a positive impact on the employer branding and will upgrade the values of your hospital. This valorisation will, at the same time, present your institution as a prestigious employer and will attract doctors and scientist who are looking for a new job.
Furthermore, stories of patients, but also the insight in the hospital’s everyday life, can add value to the transparency of the clinic. It gives your digital users the possibility to build a strong relation with your hospital.
Social Media at the hospital Hirslanden
The hospital Hirslanden is an excellent example for the implementation of a successful Social Media Strategy. Since 2013 this clinic is actively integrating Facebook, Twitter & Co. in their communication.
For Hirslanden it is very important to know what their stakeholders think of their hospitals, services and offers. The well-being and the needs of their patients are high priority for them.
Hirslanden is actively listening to the online dialogue, in particular when it is about the company itself or current medical topics. In addition, they are actively participating in discussions with their online community.
Hirslanden is present on the following Social Media Channels:
- Facebook: On Facebook you can get in touch with the clinic across three pages. On the “Hirslanden Corporate” site you find current news and interesting articles concerning the private clinic group Hirslanden and their other clinics. The “Hirslanden Baby” site provides for expectant parents useful tips about pregnancy, birth and baby. On the “Hirslanden Jobs” site you will find interesting insights and valuable information on the subject of working at Hirslanden as well as further education.
- Twitter: @Hirslandenyou receive news and information about the group Hirslanden and their clinics. Job-seekers can twitter to this address and will get new job offers and helpful information about working at Hirslanden.
- Xing: On the corporate profile you will find information about the private group Hirslanden and their clinics. The focus is on the content about the topic “working at Hirslanden”. The offer includes job descriptions and videos, interviews with the employees and information about further education. You will find as well open job positions.
- LinkedIn: On the corporate profile you will find news and information about the group Hirslanden and their clinics. The focus is also here on the subject, “working at Hirslanden”. You will find details about events, expositions, job-videos, interviews with the employees and information about further education. On this platform you will also find interesting job offers.
- YouTube: On the Youtube Chanel you can find several videos about jobs and various healthcare and medical topics.
- Blog: The Hirslanden Blog is like an online corporate diary. It is divided in the following sections; “Medical Science”, “Hirslanden Baby”, “Human Resources”, “Corporate” and “Nutrition, Health and Sports”. The articles talk about medical science, tips for your health and a balanced nutrition and in-depth look behind the scenes of Hirslanden.
Which Social Media platforms should you include in your strategy?
Regardless of the size and speciality of your medical practice, social media is crucial for reaching out to your target audience. Social networks provide numerous opportunities for hospitals and the healthcare Industry to build valuable relationships with your patients. Eminence has listed the top Social Media trends that will have a significant impact on the healthcare market in the upcoming year.
- Video content: Video content has grown enormously in terms of percentages over the last few years and the growth still continues. A great way to use video is by creating and sharing short clips, based on the requests and preferences of your target audience.
- Cisco is forecasting that 80% of the online traffic will be driven by video content by 2019.
- Mark Zuckerberg expects 90% of Facebook content to be video-based in the upcoming years.
- Almost 80% of Social Media users say that they would rather watch a video than read a text.
- Watching videos on smartphones will be the primary way patients will prefer to consume healthcare content.
- User-Generated Content (UGC): Almost 66% of new patients trust online reviews posted by other patients. Social networks are presenting various interesting opportunities to integrate UGC content into building precious relationships with prospective and existing patients. Hospitals or medical practices can ask their patients (followers) to submit reviews or share experiences on your social networks. User generated content has been proven to boost your ROI.
- Chatbots and Messaging Apps: With the Integration of Chatbots and Messaging Apps hospitals and medical practices can improve significantly their customer experiences and reach their target audience in a more personal way.
- Ephemeral content: Ephemeral content is a short-lived content that appears for just 24 hours and then disappears on its own. With this kind of content you can inspire your followers to take fast action. Ephemeral content is used on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat and is gaining immense popularity among Millennials and Generation Z.
- Live streaming: The live-streaming market is growing at high speed. Live streaming was a $30 billion industry in 2016 and it is expected to more than double in size by 2021 to become a $70 billion industry. Live streaming is a nearly free way to drive a lot of traffic to your Social Media profile and in addition a valuable component for a successful revenue.
The implementation of a Social Media Strategy for a hospital is an extensive work. Eminence recommends you to start with a well-founded Audit. Therewith you get an insight where your hospital is positioned within the competitors and in which areas a need of action is required.